Corran-Deel is an Approved Housing Body. This means that we are approved, by law, to provide affordable housing to those who are not in a position to buy their own homes. Unlike tenants of local authority housing, our houses are not available to purchase after a number of years in residence.
Are you eligible for social housing?
The rulebook to assess whether you are eligible for social housing is fairly complex. But, you might be surprised to discover that you are eligible.
Broadly, you must be eligible for social housing and you must be in need of social housing. You must meet the income threshold criteria and show that you do not have suitable alternative accommodation.
The following thresholds apply to the Limerick City and County Council area:
|Single Person household
||2 adults no children
||One adult one child
||One adult two children
||Two adults 1 child
||Two adults 2 children
||Two adults 3 children
||Two adults plus 4 or more children
||Three adults plus 4 or more children
Correct as of 2 June 2016
When deciding whether your household is in need of social housing, the housing authority must consider the following questions:
- Is your current accommodation an institution, emergency accommodation or hostel?
- Are you homeless within the meaning of section 2 of the Housing Act 1988?
- Is your current accommodation overcrowded?
- Is it fit for human habitation?
- Does it meet the accommodation requirements of a household member with a disability?
- Is it unsuitable for your household’s adequate housing on exceptional medical or compassionate grounds?
- If it is shared with another household, have you a reasonable requirement for separate accommodation?
- Has your household’s current mortgage been classified as unsustainable as part of the Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process (MARP)laid down by the Central Bank?
- Is your household dependent on Rent Supplement to meet its housing need?
- Is your current accommodation unsuitable for your household’s adequate housing in any other material respect, having regard to particular household circumstances?
Applying for social housing
If you think you may meet the above guidelines, you can apply to us directly and apply to Limerick City and County Council for social housing.
Corran-Deel VHA Application form
Limerick City and County Council Social Housing Application form
How the application process works
We notify Limerick City and County Council when we have a vacancy. They then send us a list of potential tenants to interview. You must be on the housing list for at least 3 months to be eligible for social housing.
At the interview, members of our Board establish your housing need, the length of time you have been on the housing list, previous tenancies, your links with the local area and your potential engagement with the community.
If you are successful in your application, we will only offer you a tenancy once you have passed Garda vetting. It is worth noting that this can take 4 to 6 weeks.